Sunday, November 25, 2012

Remembering “A Friend”


Sometimes life can be so strange and yet so familiar. Last Sunday as I attended service, it was such a joy to be in the presence of other worshipers, among them Carlette “Michelle” Hope. While I didn't know her name at the time, not because we had not been formally introduced, but because I am not good with names, she made a lasting impression on my life. Actually, as I think about it, I don’t think she knew my name either. But that did not stop her from always greeting me with a smile or a hug. She had this way of making me feel like royalty when I was in her presence. Could be because of the way she gestured with her hands, half bowed, and mouthed “queen” whenever she saw me. She would always tell me how beautiful I looked.  In the three years that I have worshiped at New Birth, she had become an expected delight for me whenever I walked into the sanctuary.  Even from across the room she had the ability to make me smile.




So when I got the call on Monday morning from a friend telling me she had died in a car accident on her way from morning service the day before, I was shocked. I must admit it took some time for me to be able to put the name with the face as I didn't know her by name. But as my friend continued to describe her to me and insisted that I knew her as she was sitting in the same section I was sitting in on Sunday, it hit me like a lightning bolt. “Oh my gosh”, I said as her image came to me. I could see her as plain as day in my mind’s eye sitting two seats in front of me on Sunday. She was wearing a burnt orange sweater, blue jeans and matching jean hat, and while she was too far away for a hug, she did not disappoint me but preceded with her usual form of greeting – she gestured with her hands, half bowed, and mouthed “queen” and I smiled then I blew her a kiss in response.  And later as she excused herself from the service, no doubt on a mission for Christ, she looked at me and smiled as our eyes met. I had no idea that would be the last time I would see her.



As I attended her Home going service today, I could not help but reflect on this woman, who by all accounts, would be summed up to be no more than an acquaintance, but yet she seemed more than that to me. While my total exposure to her was limited to Saturday morning corporate prayer, Sunday morning worship, and mid-week Empowerment service, it was enough to give me insight as to just how devoted she was to Christ and the hearing impaired.   I remember the first time I saw her in service. It was during praise and worship one Sunday morning and she was sitting one row in front of me off to my right. She was doing hand signs like the hearing impaired across the sanctuary.  At times, I saw her on the opposite side of the sanctuary seated with the hearing impaired. I would later learn that while she was not hearing impaired, she had a passion for that ministry and made great strides to serve that population.



During the service today, her husband asked the audience to look around the room, which was packed. He said everyone in the room impacted each other, whether or not we knew each other because of our connection to Michelle. She touched their lives, or they touched hers and as a result, she was able to impart wisdom unto others. Carlette “Michelle” Hope – a woman whom I didn't even know her name but her impact on my life is no less profound because of that. What a remarkable woman. She always had a smile, a kind word, and a warm hug. She was bubbly and excited about life and was not afraid to share that with everyone, even the ones who did not know her name. It won’t be the same entering the sanctuary tomorrow, but somehow I feel she will be there in spirit. Rest in peace for the Lord have need of thee. )i(



© Copyrights All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...