Monday, November 19, 2012

Relationship: The Challenges of Finding the"One"

The holidays can sometimes be a difficult time especially if you are not in a relationship. For me, the “lonely blues” fog/cloud usually starts forming around Thanksgiving and last somewhere up until about Valentine’s Day.  Around Christmas four years ago, I adamantly declared that “this will be the last holiday I spend alone.” Then earlier this year, I posted on my Facebook page that I was going to get married on December 15th. That’s some feat considering I had no potential husband in mind, but was sure I would by the time that date came around. Yet, here I am facing another holiday alone.  It’s not that I am not open to finding a mate; it’s more like I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. After my last failed marriage six years ago, I decided to do an assessment to try to identify the issues that plagued my marriage in an attempt to avoid the pitfalls I found myself in. What I found was, while I was a good “wife” by biblical standards, I neglected to hold my husband accountable for his part of the relationship based on those same standards.  I took it for granted that because my husband was the “man” he knew what was expected “of him” and I did not challenge him when he did not live up to those expectations. As a result, I inadvertently enabled him to treat me less than what I desired.   In hindsight, I found that while achievable, some of those expectations were un-realistic for him especially when I took into consideration that I didn't even know what they were at the time and for the most part neither did he. Again, my failure to verbalize my expectations was based on my belief that he already knew what they were because he was the “man” and my only clue that he was not meeting them was that I was unhappy. For instance, while he was a great provider financially, he neglected me emotionally and I said nothing to him about it.  Then there was the issue of him not being a “Christian”, coupled with the fact that we did not share the same outlook on life, which rendered us unequally yoked or not compatible. So why then did I marry him? Good question. 
To answer that question, I had to explore the relationship in depth and go back in time to track the steps that lead to my saying “I do.” The answer turned out to be simple, yet shameful - I just didn't want to be alone anymore, so I settled.

So here I am, five years after my divorce, facing the same outlook I faced eleven years ago and my prospects are no more inviting than they were back then.  While I have a better understanding of what I want from my mate and now have knowledgeable realistic expectations for my mate and relationship, I still find it difficult to find a suitable mate. Sure I've tried all the “conventional” venues for finding a mate, i.e., friend’s recommendations/hook-ups, grocery store, public events, church, on-line dating sites, etc., but so far no luck. In fact, the latter has proven to be the most stressful of them all. Four years ago when I first decided I was emotionally stable to try again, I came across this ad which promised to remove the stress of dating by offering a secure venue where I could meet “relationship-ready” men who were also “emotionally stable”. Their angle was that they “controlled” the information that was posted on their site. They also stated that they ran extensive background checks on prospective members to rule out unfit candidates, thus ensuring that the men I was exposed to where not predators. They also indicated that they took the pictures of every member personally to ensure that the picture posted was a recent picture.   I must admit, what they offered sounded very promising.  So without hesitation I gladly paid the exorbitant membership fee and embarked on the exciting journey to find my mate.  The way I figured, if they could elevate my stress about wondering if the guy I was out on a date with was telling me the truth about not being married or not having a criminal past, it was money well spent. In hindsight, the truth is they caught me at a very vulnerable stage in my life and it all turned out to be a waste of good money, to say the least, as my experience with that agency was anything but “stress free” and I was just as prone to end up dating a deceitful guy on their site as anywhere else.

Oddly enough, when the mental dust settled, I still desired to be married and in a fulfilling committed relationship. “But where would I find this man”, I asked myself. The truth is there are not a lot of other places to look. So once again, I found myself turning to on-line dating. There are a lot of on-line dating sites available, all promising “free to join” promotions, but charging to interact once you do. For me that was not an option as I refuse to spend one more cent on such a venue given my past experience.  As luck would have it, or not, I found, not one but two sites which appear to be free to join and allowed me to send and receive messages without additional cost. Of course there is a cost associated for other “bells and whistle” services if you chose to indulge, but for the most part, the basic service is free. It’s been about a month since I posted my profile, however I have yet to hit the jackpot. Don’t get me wrong, there are literally tons of men on these sites and I have interacted with a few of them who, at first appeared to be in-line with what I was looking for, but eventually proved to be otherwise.  What I am finding is that despite my best effort to weed out the “character-flaws” that plagued my last relationship, it seems like it is impossible to do.  Case in point, I made it a point to list what I am looking for in no uncertain terms:

I am looking for someone who is:
-God-centered
-Age (45 or older because I am not a cougar)
-Height (6 ft or taller)
-Non-smoker
-Has children but don't want any more
-Has no dogs or cats because I am allergic

Yet, I received messages from guys who are 25 – 42, who are 5’11” or shorter, has dogs and/cats, don’t have kids and wants kids, and yes even the ones who smoke but failed to indicate that on their profile.  What I have determined, based on my experience on these sites, is that men are "visual" and do not read – or they just skim through the profile at best. They see my picture and immediately send me a message. Why do I say that? Simple, most times than not they ask me something that is already listed in my profile, i.e., "Where are you from?" That information is listed in the second line of the first paragraph of my profile. My return message to them then is, “Typically I don't continue conversation or respond to questions if what is being asked is already in my profile, but I'll make an exception in this case simply because I am proud of where I am from and I already know that men are "visual". They don't read profiles they just look at the pictures, lol.” This usually pisses them off and I don’t hear from them again, which is fine by me. All I am trying to do is weed out the “character-flaws” that no doubt will cause issues in a relationship and while I can’t “catch” all of them, I am bent and determined to do my best.

Recently I discovered yet another issue that I had not previously considered. I received a message from a guy who is a “truck driver”. While being a truck driver, in and of itself, is not the issue, the potential to become an issue is very real because of what it represents. One of the things that affected my last marriage was the fact that my ex-husband worked nights while I worked days. We were like two ships passing at daybreak. He was just getting home in the mornings when I was on my way out to work. It wasn't always that way, but in time, once our schedules changed, it put additional strain on an already strained relationship.  So to ensure that my next mate and I spend enough time together, it stands to reason that we must be on the same schedule. To that end, dating someone whose profession will no doubt regularly take him out of town and away from me for days at a time is not acceptable. The way I see it, I have already spent too much time by myself. To willingly enter into a relationship; knowing that I will be regularly spending my nights alone makes no sense to me.  It’s not like we are already in a relationship and his occupation changed or his job all of a sudden required him to travel. We don’t even have a history short of the day-old correspondence on-line. Of course, he did not agree with my decision to not pursue a relationship with him and he accused me of being “negative”. In his words “Quit with the negative thinking. Let it flow, if it gels, then run with it! If it doesn't  then run with it. I will more than make up for lost time when I’m home!” That’s an interesting perspective and all it does is tell me that he is not taking my feelings into consideration and only wants what he wants despite my feelings - another indication to me that this guy is not the right one for me. This is right up there with my insisting that my mate be 6 feet or taller. The reason being is that I like to wear heels. There is just something about me in heels – it completes the outfit. Truth is, I can be as tall as 6’2” depending on which shoes I chose to wear and most guys don't want their woman towering over them. Sure a shorter guy will say in the beginning that it’s okay and that he “don’t mind” that I’m taller than he is, but I know as sure as I am sitting here on this chair that the day will come when he will ask me not to wear my heels because he doesn't want me to be taller than he is.  Not wearing my heels is an option I am not willing to consider and I don’t want to have that discussion. So for me if I don’t entertain a shorter guy then I won’t have that conversation. It may sound a bit silly to you but for me it makes perfect sense. For me to settle on a shorter guy would be like me feeling there are no tall guys out there who meets my other specifications.  

Another “character-flaw” I am trying to avoid is the one where guys call me some sort of “sweet” name upon an initial encounter.  This is not just restricted to on-line dating. This could be a guy I run into on the street. Why is it that most guys feel the need to call you “baby”, “sweetie”, “honey” or “love” right off the bat? I know they probably think it’s “cute” or some sort of “term of endearment”, but for me it’s a bit unsettling. I guess it’s because I am a literal person and for me such “terms of endearment” should be reserved for when you are in fact in a relationship. The way I figure it is, if a guy automatically calls you a “sweet” name from the get-go, then how do you gauge his level of affection for you as the relationship deepens? For me it’s right up there with guys who tell you they love you all the time. After a while it sounds routine and you don’t know if he really loves you or if it’s just something he just says - like a “filler”.   Interestingly enough, I have found that on this go around, I have no tolerance for what I deem as idiocies. As such, if my mate is going to fall for me, he is going to have to fall for the real me, no hold barred.  So in response to a recent message I received on-line where the subject line said “Hi Babe” and the content read, “How are you [d]oing today? I like your smile.” - I said, “Good night. Thanks for the compliment. I am fine thank you and for the record I am not your Babe.” He then responded, “I am soorry to use 'Hi babe' I regardrd thatas a compliment. I appologize.” To which I said, “Apology accepted. FYI, that is not a compliment, at least not to me. When I think of a baby I think of throwing up, dirty diapers, and a helpless creature that relies on its mother for everything because it can do nothing for itself. I know guys typically like to use terms of endearment, i.e., honey, darling, sweetie, baby, babe, etc when reaching out to a lady but trust me when I tell you it’s not appropriate. You should only use such terms with your lady, it means more to her to know you don't just call anyone that. I'm just saying. Have a great night and I hope you find what you are looking for.” You would think that would be the end of that, but no, he had more he wanted to say. “Thank u for accepting my appology, but in the first place your thought is different from someone else's thought. For me "babe" or "baby" is someone u r ready to care for, ready to take responsibilities. Share things in common pay attension to all the time (T) where T is undefined, be there for someone, assist when the need arises etc and above all ready to have and accept that person from your heart that gives us life.  I really feel bad when my words and actions are being misconstrued. I used that word with a positive mind and do not mean to hurt u. Again and again I say SORRY.  Take care and stay blessed......” And then as if he knew I had a pet-peeve about mis-spelt words, he added, “Sorry for the spelling mistakes. My keypads don't work right.” I know I should have left well enough alone, but that’s not my style, so I came back with, “For you to say that your definition of the word babe means wanting to take care of me only proves my point. Not only do you not know me, how can you, after only seeing my picture with no interaction with me, make a determination that you want to care for me in that way? That tells me two things. First, that you are not really looking for love but just someone – anyone – to take care of and it doesn't matter who it is. Secondly it tells me that you are not being realistic and your thought process is defective. When I meet a guy I evaluate everything before I make a determination if I want him in my world. A guy who calls me a "sweet" name without even knowing me does not get considered. There may be women out there who do not have any standard where this is concerned but for me that is a "red" flag. If you start off by calling me "babe" how do I differentiate when you actually fall for me? What will you call me then? I'm just saying.” After that it was pretty much a wrap as he said simply, “I don't want to go back and forth with this. Simply put; Thank u and Godbless u.” At that point I decided to let well-enough be and opted not to respond to him anymore mostly because he proved my point - that "guys don’t read profiles before they respond to a picture" as he was 5’7”.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing because it tends to empower and I must agree to some extent. You see, before I had a sense of what I wanted in a mate and out of my relationship, I would have gladly settled for any of the guys I have been exposed to so far. But now that I know what I need to expand my happiness, I refuse to settle for anything less. I no longer feel the need to settle just because I don't want to be alone. I must admit I have met some interesting characters on-line, some less desirable than others. But despite my less than favorable results so far, I am still hopeful that I will meet someone worthy of my time who possess all the character and physical attributes I am looking for.  After all, they can’t all be duds, right? It looks like that old fair tale-base saying is true; you know the one that says, “You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you can find your prince.” God knows I have met my share of frogs, but I am excited about the prospect of finally finding my prince or maybe he will find me first. I’m just saying - I got issues. What about you? )i(

© Copyrights All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...