Monday, January 15, 2018

Gas Price – Debit vs Credit

A few years ago I pulled into a gas station on the corner of Columbia Drive and Memorial Drive to gas up my jeep because the price per gallon advertised on the sign was less than the competitor (Chevron) across the street. Without giving it any thought I swiped my credit card and pumped the gas. When I got my receipt I noticed that the price per gallon was more than the advertised price on the sign so I went in to inquire why. The clerk seemed a bit hostile in his response when I pointed out the discrepancy. He said forcibly, “That’s the ‘cash’ price” as if he felt I was challenging what I saw on the sign. He went on to say that the sign clearly says that. I told him I did not notice “cash” on the sign as was evident by my gassing up. Truth is had I seen that I would have gone to the competitor across the street who was about 3 cents/gal cheaper.  As I left the location I made a point to look at the sign again and sure enough there was the word “cash” in very small letters next to the price. Below that was a slightly higher price with the word “credit” next to it. I could not help but wonder how many times in the past I had paid a higher price per gallon because I was unaware of the “cash” vs “credit” price difference.



As time went by I would make a point to check the sign for pricing discrepancy when gassing up. Sometimes both prices were the same and other times there was no distinction given as to whether or not it was the “cash” price or the “credit” price listed. Turns out in the absence of distinction there was no difference in the price point. So I found a BP which did not have a price point difference regarding cash or credit payment and stuck with them.

So fast forward to the other day I was heading out to visit my grandchildren when I realized I needed gas. So I drove to my regular spot – BP on Covington and DeKalb Medical. Sign said $2.43 and $2.48/gal. I figured the first price was the price for regular grade and the other price was for premium grade. I mean honestly I don’t normally give it much thought anymore, especially since I tend to use my BP rewards points when I fill up.  However, after I put my loyalty number in and answered “yes” to the promoting to the question if I wanted to use my .04 off per gallon, I noticed the price displayed per gallon was $2.44.  “What?” I said out loud. How can the discounted price still be more than the published price? A closer look at the sign revealed something curious. Next to the prices listed in smaller letters were the words “cash/debit” and “credit” respectively.  Ain’t that a bitch? My BP station has been indoctrinated into the cash vs credit movement. How crazy is that? Really, who walks around with $40 in their pocket to be able to pay cash for gas? Not me. Heck, I don’t even use a debit card. So I am on the hunt to find another BP station that does not make the distinction.

I am not sure why gas stations are now making the distinction between cash/debit and credit payments, but it is costing me a pretty penny. One reason I can think of for the change is that perhaps the cost difference for credit payment is a way for the merchants to recuperate the cost of the credit transactions fees. By passing those cost on to the consumers, they avoid having to pay that 5% transaction fee themselves. So I have a choice to make. Either I find a new BP that does not make the distinction in payment method, or I need to dust off my debit card and reactivate the pin to be able to save money at the pump.  I’m Just Saying. I got issues – what about you?


Copyright 2018 © Todos Escribe. All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...