Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Happily Ever After - It Does Exist

While I’m not big about hanging out during the Christmas holidays, I decided to take up a friend on her invite to come hang at her place on Christmas day. So glad I did as it helped to relieve some of the holiday blues/funk I was experiencing.  As I made my way around the chatter filled room, I was greeted warmly by the other guests, most of whom I had met before.  After exchanging pleasantries, I made my way to the kitchen area and fixed myself a plate then settled myself down in a cozy chair which just happened to be in front the tv. The Preacher’s Wife was playing on BET, but it was hard to hear the dialogue due to all the chatter that was going on around me.  

After a while, I gave up trying to hear the tv and decided to focus on the food in front of me. Not long after an elderly lady came and sat down next to me and engaged me in conversation. She asked me how I was doing and if I remembered her. Looking at her I had no idea who she was but she bared a strong resemblance to the host. Sensing my hesitation, she pointed out that she remember me from a past holiday gathering as I was busy in the kitchen washing pots and pans and cleaning up. She told me she was the host’s aunt and that today was her 61st wedding anniversary. Then she proceeded to point out her husband Jimmy who was deep in conversation in another room. Looking at her you would not guess she was 84 years old. In fact, it was hard to believe her husband was 84 as well because they both looked so well preserved and their level of conversation confirmed they were in full control of their mental faculties.  
As I sat there listening to her talk about her husband I could see her gleaming with pride and admiration.  Later as they prepare to leave, I could see the love and affection they have for each other as they fussed among themselves. They looked so cute as she accused him of “talking too much” and he said she was “bossy.” While I feel there was some truth in their words, they said it teasingly which no doubt is the secret to their long lasting marriage. It was just so delightful watching their exchange.

Jimmy is from North Carolina and Martha from Georgia. After high school they both migrated to New York where they met. The Bryant’s were married on December 25, 1956 at the tender young age of 23. Their union produced 4 boys, including a set of twins. They lived in New York for a time, but would move to other places, like Boston, New Hampshire, and eventually settling down in Georgia about seven years ago. Two of their sons have since preceded them in death, however the other two are happily married with children. One lives in Colorado and the other in Boston. The effects of aging has limited Martha’s ability to drive, but Jimmy still handles himself pretty well behind the wheel. He took great pride in sharing that his wife had him drive the 6,000 miles round trip to Canada from Georgia this past summer.  Not only that, he frequently drives to Colorado, Boston, North Carolina, and Florida to visit family.

At the end of the night as I looked at this elderly couple put on their coats and prepare to venture home, I could not help but think, “It is possible to have happy ever after”. Martha is the yin to Jimmy’s yang or vice versa. Either way, they are a perfect match. I am sure it was not all daisies and roses - you don’t spend that much time with someone without encountering some hardships, but whatever trials they encountered it is obvious, from looking at them, that their love for each other saw them through the tough times. I am so glad I ventured out because I met this amazing couple who restored my faith in the institution of marriage. They are a prime example that marriages can last if you work at it. So Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Bryant. May you have many more happy years together. I’m Just Saying. I got issues – what about you?




Copyright 2017 © Todos Escribe. All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...