Tuesday, June 23, 2020

WAPA's Attorney Racist Rampage

So I got word today about WAPA's Atty, Mark Kragel, who recently posted some racist comments on his fb page. I heard he litterally said f$@# #blacklivesmatters along with some other derogatory comments. I also understand that this is not his first offense.


While I can respect his right to share his opinion, VI residents also have the right to offer backlash through comments and/or boycotting his business as well as expecting WAPA to do something about it.  He has no business representing the VI in any capacity if that is how he feels about us. We are predominantly people of color and have fought tooth and nail to exist on these islands without racial discrimination.
One of the few things I enjoyed while growing up on the island was that there was no racial tension. All races coexisted peacefully. In fact I was never more aware of my skin color until I moved to Atlanta. It is here that I encountered racial prejudice for the first time in my life. It was here that my then 13 year old daughter came face to face with hate when 3 white boys threatened to hang her if she did not go back to where she came from. No doubt they meant Africa in their ignorance. It was tough trying to console my daughter while explaining to her why people who did not know her wanted to do her harm based solely on the color of her skin.
In a time where racial tension is high across the nation, there is no room for people in high positions to be adding to the flames with reckless comments. We as virgin islanders should have no tolerance for this type of ignorance. It is your money that pays his salary. So if he has no respect for us as a people, which is clear by his comment, then you should not support his business. The people of the VI deserve better. WAPA should know better. WAPA should do better. They can not look the other way because it "was a personal comment" and not delivered in an official capacity. We have been held hostage for way too long because of their monopoly, i.e., only electric company in the territory. So they have no motivation to do right by us, but we can still send a message with our voices, with our post, and with our votes. If WAPA really stands behind their slogan - "working for you" then they will do the right thing.




I am so sick and tired of people thinking it's okay to say whatever they want without any fear of repercussions or consequences. Then only making a retraction or half ass apology when or if it affects their pocket or bottomline. I am sure if we put our minds together we can come up with a way to pressure WAPA to do something about Mark. We are not completely helpless in this situation. Sure we need WAPA but they need us too. They depend on your payments just like you depend on their service.

Something has to give. How long will we continue to let people who have no use for us short of using our money to line their pockets get away with treating us like second class citizen? The time to act is now. The time for change is now. The time to do away with bigotry is NOW. I'm just saying - I got issues. What about you?)i( 

#blacklivesmatters #wapavi #usvi #racist #notolerance #igotissues #yahsdaughter863 #yaminah89 #wakeup #consciousness #consciousthinking #bethechange #stopthehate #blackpeople #blackmen #questfortruth #imatter #black #peopleofcolor #speakup #knowledgeiskey 


© Copyrights All Right Reserved 2020

 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of I Got Issues, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...