Monday, June 13, 2016

Attack on America - Orlando Night Club Shooting

I had just gotten in from a walk at Stone Mountain Park yesterday afternoon when I flipped on the TV. Normally it’s on CW 69 but I was watching the documentary OJ Simpson: Made in America the night before. Had it not been for that, I would have missed the breaking news even though it would end up looping all day long as I am not known for watching the news. “50 dead [including the shooter] and 53 injured in Orlando Gay Nightclub shooting.” I dropped to my knees in front the tv in shock. “What the heck,” I though. What in the world happened? As I stayed in that position, mostly because I literally could not move, those questions and more were answered. Apparently a lone gunman, Omar Mateen, went into Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida and open fire on the occupants.  Future reporting called it “the worst mass shooting in modern history”, “the worst act of terrorism on American soil since Sept. 11, 2001”, and “the deadliest attack on a gay target in the nation’s history”.

Listening to President Obama speak on the shooting brought some comfort but not much as he said the FBI was investigating the matter and all available resources were being used to get more information about the shooter/shooting. However it looks like the FBI had already had several run-ins with Mr. Mateen. News report listed several troubling incidents where the FBI was investigating Mr. Mateen but dropped their investigation. They also report he exhibited some violence towards his ex-wife.

I may be wrong but it seems to me like all the individuals who were responsible for mass shooting all had some sort of run-in with authorities prior to the fatal day of their crime spree, i.e., Columbine shooters, movie theater shooter, Boston bombing, etc. Maybe the FBI need to start taking these “encounters” more seriously and not just dismiss the interest. If an individual popped up on their radar and it is enough for them to investigate them, then maybe they need to keep some sort of surveillance going until they are 100 percent certain these individuals do not serve a threat. Apparently their suspicions were not baseless and had they kept then under surveillance they may have been able to prevent these tragedy. Authorities need to try to figure out a way to nip these type incidents in the bud. I know they can’t know without a shadow of a doubt whether or not a person serves an immediate threat, but they need to look closer at potential suspects and do due diligence to deter these type of incidents. I would prefer they exhaust every resource available to curtail and detain a suspect than to have to live with the aftermath that not doing that due diligence brings about.



What is puzzling to me is how the shooter was able to get through security with his weapons. I’ve only been to clubs here in Georgia, but it’s been my experience that most club have some sort of security check in place to catch people who carry weapons on their person.  Maybe this club did not have that type screening in place but it seems that all clubs in the nation need to take a page from this incident and put in place a screening protocol to ensure this type incident does not occur.


We have become a nation of “re-actors” instead of “pro-actors”. It only takes one tragedy for authorities to take note and make a change. How many more people have to die before something is done to help deter these type of incidents? If we were asleep thinking this cannot happen in a club, this is a wake-up call to everyone to be more vigilant and watch out for not just yourself but for others around you. Right now we are not safe anywhere. Not our homes, not in schools, not in churches, not at the movie theaters, and now we can add nightclubs to that list. The phrase - “I am my brother’s keeper” - is more relevant now more so than ever. We have to look out for each other and do what we can to keep each other safe.




My heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to the victims and their family of the Orlando Nightclub tragedy.  I pray that as a nation we come together to devise a plan to prevent these type of senseless killing.  If we don’t, it will only be a matter of time before it reaches your door. I’m Just Saying. I got issues – what about you?)i(

Follow this story here 

Copyright © 2012 - 2016 Todos Escribe. All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...