Monday, June 8, 2015

Made in America – No longer Valid

When it comes to discounted merchandise, Walmart is my “go to” place hands down. From food to everyday products, there is where most of my money goes. My pastor once said that if you want to know where your loyalty lies, look at your check book registry. Well mines is flooded with Walmart entries. I shop so often at Walmart, I should have stocks in the company – lol. So naturally when I was looking for an inexpensive cellphone service plan, Walmart was my first choice. I was excited to discover that they offered a “bring your own device” plan through StraightTalk which allowed me to keep my old cell phone. I don’t know about you but the thought of getting a new phone terrifies me.  I mean the thought of having to learn the new features and how to program things including adding contacts is more than I am willing to undertake anytime soon. Besides, I’ve had this phone like forever. I can work it in my sleep. Shoot, there are still features on this phone that I have yet to discover let alone use. Yes, keeping my same phone was definitely a plus, not to mention that I was able to keep my same carrier too. Fact is I was spending less per month with StraighTalk for more options than I did when I was directly linked to Verizon. 


So what’s my issue? Oh I’m so glad you asked. It started a few months ago when I enrolled in their auto-refill option on line. They offer a $2.50 discount a month when you enroll in auto-refill. Okay, so there was one month that my credit card was maxed out and I didn’t know if I would be able to pay it down by the time my cellphone payment was due, which was on the 4th of the month. So I did the only logical thing I knew how to do which was to unroll from auto-refill to prevent any extra charges etc. Fortunately as the universe would have it, I was able to cover the debts on my card so I re-enrolled in auto-refill two days before the bill was due.  At first they honored the $2.50 discount but then on the 6th they took it back and charged me $46.78 instead of the initial $44.17 I usually paid. I called customer service to find out why they reneged on the $2.50 discount and was given the run around. At first they said that it was a system error and that I should not have gotten the discount because I “was not enrolled in auto-refill during the promotional period.” Confused as to what the “promotional period” was I quickly pointed out that my credit card was only removed from the account for a few days and I had re-entered it before the due date so I don’t see what the issue was. I figured they could appreciate my diligence to ensure the payment was not declined but not so. In fact the more I spoke the more I got the impression that the reps I spoke to cared less about the “why” than they did about collecting the money.  I mean it was like talking to a brick wall, well not really, but close. 


Then it was that the promotion had expired. Regardless of their excuses, their responses were curt, harsh and at times, downright abrasive. Maybe it was their accent or tone, either way they came off rude to me. I would later learn that I’m not the only one who feels this way as I saw some post on their Facebook page which confirms my assessment of their behavior towards me.  It was like they were reading a script and no matter what I said I got the same response, no deviation – “that is the price, sorry”.  Asking to speak to a supervisor yielded no better result.  So after speaking to several different people, including a supervisor, who also appeared to care less about my situation or why I unenrolled from the program, I decided to ask for their corporate office phone number. After being on place on hold for what seemed like an eternity, I was given the companies email address but it turned out to be the website for TracFone Wireless, Inc. Further prompting for a phone number or a mailing address was countered with only that the company was located in Miami Florida. It was obvious that I was not going to get anywhere so I decided to cut my losses and just let it go. The good news is I was re-enrolled in auto-refill and although the rep said the promotional period had expired he also reassured me that I would get the discount next month so I should see that $44.17 again going forward – go figure.

Ok so fast forward to recent events. I went off the grid for about three weeks.  A few days into my solitude I discovered that I didn’t have any service (guess I had traveled outside my service area), but that’s okay as I was using Wi-Fi to play my games on Facebook and check email and I welcomed the silence. When I finally decided to emerge and reconnect with friends and family I discovered that while I was off the grid my credit card was compromised so my bank shut it down to prevent any further fraudulent charges. Good thing I had the mindset to let them know ahead of time of my plans to go off the grid. Contact with my bank further revealed that I wouldn’t get a replacement card until 7 to 10 business days. Remembering that my card was tied to my cellphone auto-refill I asked the bank rep if they would honor any auto charges that were in place on the old card to which I was told no.  So I had no choice but to reach out to a friend for help, which she gladly obliged even before I promised to drop a check in the mail to cover the expense. 

So today I sat down to write that check but needed to know how much to make it out for. I logged into my StraightTalk on-line account to get that information. To my dismay I discovered that the charge was for $49.32 – the most I have ever been charged since being a StraightTalk customer. I mean this is a $45/month plan after all.  I also noticed that they had the state associated with the credit card on file as California even though the zip code was clearly Florida which is where my friend lives.  Feeling sure this was a simple error that can be cleared up in one phone call I called customer service. I ended up speaking to at least six different people in between hold times. I had to keep repeating myself over and over again to no avail.  I kept being told that the reason I got charged that much was because I was no longer enrolled in the auto-refill program, I kept telling them I’ve been outside the auto-refill program before and never got assessed that much. 

You would think I would have learned my lesson from before. I guess you can say I have amnesia. Frustrated I asked for a supervisor who, like the previous reps, was just as abrasive, but unlike the others, she now was quick to point out that the taxes assessed to my account was based on the state my card was registered to. Huh? Are you kidding me? My phone is in Georgia, my address is listed in Georgia and the state my friend’s card is connected to is a Florida address. Obviously they were assessing me California taxes. Convinced that this was just a simple accounting error - that I was being assessed a higher tax rate based on the erroneous California listing - I pushed forward with my argument. Only to be countered with in an elevated tone “there is no error. That is the correct tax amount”. Feeling beat I simply stated the obvious. “I can see that you are not going to try and help me. All I want is for you to honor my enrollment in the auto-refill program since it was not my fault I was de-enrolled.”  She responded that there was nothing she could do for me and that only the refund department could do that. A little ray of hope lifted in my mind’s eye and quickly asked to be transferred to that department. 


By now I’ve been on the phone for about 45 minutes.  After a substantial hold time I was greeted by someone named Mary.  It was obvious she had not been briefed on the situation so after confirming that she was in the “refund department” I shared with her my issue. Unfortunately, she was just as abrupt and harsh as her other counter parts but I was determined to get to the bottom of why my bill was so high.  It became apparent that she was not going to try to help me even though I shared that my card was blocked by my bank for fraudulent charges and was in no way my fault and that I tried to remedy the situation as quickly as possible by having a friend pay the bill on my behalf before the due date. Not sure why they tried to process the payment two days before the due date, but by all account I had made good on the payment. She too gave me the same excuse about the taxes assessed were associated with the state the credit card’s address was issued to which made no sense to me especially since, again my billing address and state of usage is Georgia, which I gladly told her. To which she responded that it was their policy. That followed by a slew of policy quotes and ended with a suggestion that I go read the agreement and policy statement on the website.    At this point I knew for sure I was not going to get anywhere with her so I asked her where she was located. She avoided my question by saying it was not important where she was and that it was not relevant, but I persisted in asking. She eventually admitted that she was in the Philippines but it did not affect her ability to answer my questions because the policy was the same everywhere. 
She also offered that their corporate office was based in Miami however when asked she declined to give their contact phone number.  By this time I am fit to be tied so I asked for a refund of the entire month and she said it was not refundable, to which I broke out in a hilarious laugh followed by “why I’m I not surprised.” I then said I was going to write a detail letter to her corporate office detailing my dissatisfaction with the service I was receiving and her inability to give me clear cut information that made sense about the taxes being assessed to my account. To my surprise she hung up while I was still speaking.  Wow.

Before I could redial the number I got an automatic call from the survey line. I had forgotten that at the beginning of the call I had opted to do a brief survey at the end of the call.  “Great”, I thought. “I can give them some feedback on this Mary person.”  Of course I held nothing back and when asked if I would recommend StraightTalk to my friends and/or family member on a scale of 0 to 10 with “0” being very unlikely and “10” being very likely, I chose “0”.  Upon completing the survey my phone service was disconnected. I called back straight talk from another phone and was placed on hold for an extended amount of time. I hung up and called back several times. Each time the rep would put me on hold. Meanwhile I kept turned my StraightTalk phone off and on several times to see if service was restored – it was not. The last time I called in to customer service I was in the middle of speaking with the rep when the call was disconnected. I immediately called back. While on hold with the new rep, the other rep from the dropped call called me back. I clicked over and thanked her for calling me back. She went on to tell me that based on their records my phone was on line, but it wasn’t.  It took some time, including me turning my phone off and on again and being placed on hold for extended periods before service was eventually restored.



So I saw the StraighTalk page on Facebook and decided to make a comment about my most recent encounter. Someone responded to my post and asked me to send an inbox message or click on a link so they can help me. I did both. The chat link turned out to be a waste of time as I was limited to only 400 characters (not words) which greatly affected my ability to clearly share my issue.  The inbox message got responded to by someone who persisted to tell me that my phone was not deactivated today because she could not see any records where it had been. She said that it probably failed to load when I added the new plan. Interesting since there was no new plan. All I did was pay for 30-day service, the equivalent of loading time to a phone and that was four days ago. Any interruption in service should have occurred at the time of the payment not four days later.  Think about it, I had service all along and only lost service today after my encounter with “Mary”. 


Bottom-line is this, in a time when tons of Americans are out of work and the economy is struggling to make a comeback, I find it interesting that Walmart would promote a phone service for a company that is based in the Philippines no less.  Makes you wonder how many more services they offer, including cell service, that is based in some other country and not America. What ever happened to home grown and putting American’s to work? Say what you want about Americans but I still believe that when it comes down to the wire, we are still the most compassionate people out there. Sure there are those that are driven by greed and yet others who will sell their soul for the almighty dollar. However the fact still remains that in America, the customer is always right and when faced with the choice to help a customer and retain their business by any means necessary, we still hold the record for that one.  So Walmart, it you want to allow StraightTalk to continue to provide phone service to Americans, the least you can do is provide full disclosure  - that this is not an American based company and all the revenues generated is filtered out to another country and does not benefit or support America. I don’t know about you but I prefer for the money I spend to stay here in America. I’m just saying. I got issues – what about you? )i(

Copyright © Todos Escribe. All Right Reserved
 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...