Monday, November 23, 2015

IRS Phone Scam - Don't Become a Victim

I’ve often heard about people being scammed out of hundreds or even thousands of dollars through scam artists who make it their life’s work to defraud people out of their money. Never ever thought it would happen to me. Then today I received my very first scam call. Woke up to two missed calls from a (202) 697-9915. Checked my voicemail only to get a recording of an electronic male voice repeating a number. I gave it no thought.  Then a few hours later I received yet another missed call from that same number. When I returned the call the number just rang and rang. So I decided to call back the number from my voicemail (202) 436-9798.

The voice on the other end sounded like a Middle Eastern man who identified himself as “Chief Inspector Austin Reed” with the IRS.  I told him I was returning a call to which he inquired what number they had contacted me on.  After I gave him my number he asked if he was speaking to “Yaminah Gore” (he mispronounced my last name - it sounded French or something) to which I repeated my full government name.  He went on to say that he was with the IRS and that the federal government has issued a warrant for my arrest and wanted to know if I knew why.  I stifled a laugh and he interjected to say this was “serious”. I told him it was funny to me that he would call me to tell me there is a warrant for my arrest and then ask me if I knew why. Shouldn’t he already know why a warrant was issued for my arrest? I went on to tell him it was impossible that there is a warrant out for my arrest. He inquired why I would say that and I told him it is because I am a law abiding citizen and have been so for all my life. Once I realized this was a scam call I told him to remove my number from their ‘que’ and refrain from calling me again. He kept trying to tell me “how serious” this situation was. To which I told him to go ahead and have the federal government execute the warrant on me as I’ve been living at the same place for the past 17 years so if they want to arrest me they knew where I lived.  I also shared with him that I would report his call to the local tv station as well as the IRS.  His response was to hang up.

Afterwards I thought about the stories I’ve heard about people who were scammed out of money due to these type calls and I could see how that could happen especially if there past was a bit questionable.  I immediately did an internet search for where I could report my encounter. I came across a website for the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration www.treasury.gov/tigta where I completed and submitted a fraud report form. It was a very simple and easy process. There was also a toll free number listed (800) 366-4484 but due to the sheer volume of calls received the mailbox was full. I would love to say that was the end of my encounter, but not so. Throughout the day I continued to receive automated calls from the “IRS Fraud line” expressing urgency for me to return the call and resolve the issues that has prompted the Federal Government to issue a warrant for my arrest.  I chose to ignore those calls.

The previous case is only a small scale on how widespread phone scams have become. These predators prey on unsuspecting individuals including senior citizens who may not be as savvy to identify theses calls as scams. Don’t fall victim to scam calls. If you ever receive a call from someone you don’t know or from someone claiming to be collecting a debt, ask them to send you the request in writing. If they don’t have your address, chances are it is a scam – hang up. Don’t give out ANY personal information pass your name. Think about it, everyone you have done business with already has your personal information. Remember we live in nation that requires “due process” before any collection action is levied against you. Every demand for debt has to be in writing and you must be given an opportunity to confirm the debt before you are required to pay it. Also remember the IRS will never call you asking you to pay a debt over the phone. They have ways to garnish future earnings and tax returns so don’t ever fall for the tactics people from other counties may try to pull over on you because they are ignorant of the law that governs the citizens of our country. I’ve never heard of the Federal Government issuing an arrest warrant for failure to pay a debt without due process. I’m just saying – I got issues. What about you?)i(


Here are some other resources:

Copyright © Todos Escribe. All Right Reserved

 The views and opinions shared here are by the Author and are the property of Todos Escribe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday - Not Really Holy

I'm sitting here thinking about Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday and wondering about their true origin. I mean what does bunny rabbits ...